Universal Robot Safety Password

If you need to access the safety configuration but the password is unknown you can remove it.

• Username = root
  • Password = easybot

The folder you arrive in will have a file called:

Remove this file and restart the robot. Now the safety password can be set up again.

1 Like

Is this possible with the UR5 robot? Is there a way to factory reset the UR5 also?

Hey Austin,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes it is possible to login to the UR5 robot this way.

What do you want to do exactly? Do you want to use a fresh installation file?
https://www.universal-robots.com/articles/ur/resetting-the-defaultinstallation-file/

Or do you want te replace the image with a fresh one?
https://www.universal-robots.com/articles/ur/how-to-replace-flashcard-in-cb3-and-e-series-robots/

NOTE: Reflashing your SD card or USB stick will delete all your programs and calibration files, make sure you always have a full backup before doing any memory replacement or image re-install.

Hi Mathijs,

What do you mean “Log in using an SFTP client (WinSCP) or through SSH”? It´s via PolyScope?

Sorry for my noob question, i not from IT and from what i google it´s i do not understand…

Thanks!
Regards

1 Like

Welcome @N_R_PT ,

First of all it is not a noob question. I’ll walk you through it real quick.

The Universal Robot runs on Linux. You only see the User Interface on the teach pendant, but you can actually login to the Linux OS that is running on the robot.

Linux has a sepcial remote login port which you can use to login to execute commands or transfer files.

One way of doing so is to use WinSCP :: Official Site :: Download

Once you have downloaded and installed WinSCP on a laptop / PC you can connect to the robot, see screenshot below.

Default credentials are
user: root
password: easybot

Hope this makes things clear.

2 Likes

This is very helpful! But how do I know what my port number is? And the program is telling me that my host number “does not exist”. Would you happen to know why?

Hi Mel,

It should be the default port, which is 22.

What is your network configuration? You probably need to set your IP address on your ethernet adapter.

Make sure to set the robot IP, you can use this guide, page 5:

Make sure the IP address is in the same range, and the subnet mask is the same. The IP address range is different in the screenshots, don’t get confused by that!!

Hopefully you can get things to work now.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, it is the solution that I needed

No problem, if there is anything you need help with feel free to create a topic about it!

Good evening. I am having an issue for which I could use a factory reset. I downloaded WinSCP, but I am not able to see the robot. I have already followed all the steps suggested in the previous posts. I imagine that I need to have an Ethernet cable connected to the robot control box, is that correct? Is there an Ethernet port available? I am not really an expert when it comes to networking.
Besides, I have inherited the setup and I received little to no help from the previous owners, so I do not know if there is anything blocking the access.

Thanks!

Regards

So, I had a look and I found the Ethernet port in the control box. I connected my laptop to it via an Ethernet cable, disabling the laptop’s wifi just in case. I managed to get access to the IP address of the machine.

I inserted the IP address of the machine here, password typed was easybot.
I also changed the settings of my laptop in this way.
However, it still tells me that the host does not exist. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Apologies for multiple posting, but I am not allowed to paste more than one attachment, as I am a new user.

Maybe the hostname can’t be resolved for whatever reason.

A possible cause could be this:

IP for your computer:

IP for your robot:

Can you spot the error? If not the solution is below.

Click for solution An IP address needs to be unique, or else your devices can't talk to each other.

Thanks for the quick reply. I changed the IP address of my computer to 192.168.0.17 (no particular reason for this choice), I reran WinSCP with the same settings and still tells me that ur-20195500935 does not exist.
In the picture it says that it is not connected to network, could that be the reason why it is not working?

Thanks!

Sometimes the UR is not properly outputing things about the network on the display. Especially older versions would display 0.0.0.0 after setting an IP.

So now what you did is change the IP of your computer to the wrong subnet.
If the UR has 172.20.9.11 with subnet 255.255.255.0 then you can pick anything between 172.20.9.1 and 172.20.9.254 except for .11.

If it still doesn’t work then maybe the network needs to be enabled on the UR or the network cable is malfunctioning, but first the devices must have a proper IP configuration.

1 Like

When I try to set a static ip address in the system section of the polyscope settings, the IP address is changed back to 0.0.0.0 when I hit apply.

As I cannot set an IP address different to 0.0.0.0, I can’t access to the robot via winSCP to change the password.

From your answer it seems you might know how to address this issue